Sunday, September 21, 2008

Triathlon Season is over

Ryan has been doing triathlons now for about 5 years. I did my first official one this summer, and it's a lot harder than it looks. But I think I also understand the passion behind "triathlon" now! It's not about winning--or even trying to! It's not about bragging. It's not about looking cool, or acing out your competitors. But rather it's about doing your own personal best. It's about having fun! I've never felt more exhilerated (and terrified) than I did running into a cold lake with hundreds of other people splashing all around me and swimming toward some buoy in the distance. I've never felt more alive than I did when cruising down the trails on my bike, the wind blowing past me, someone in front of me, someone on my tail--pedaling as fast as I could. And I haven't ever felt any sense of accomplishment quite as exciting as running down the hill and through the finish chute where strangers cheered, an announcer read my name into the microphone, and someone handed me an ice-cold gatorade. So here's to another great year of triathlons. If you haven't done one, try it!



Megan did a triathlon this year. We were very proud of her. She had a lot of fun and said she wants to do it again next summer.
This was the first "ultra" length triathlon for Ryan. They boated the participants out to that island in the distance, and they swam all the way back to shore.


This is what the kids did all morning while dad was competing.

4 comments:

heidigoseek said...

Looks like lots of fun. I always love dong something I can share with my children. Way to go for your whole family!!

Megan Bruschke said...

You amaze me! I am still in awe of how much your family does! Seriously impressed!

Becky said...

It's all Ryan. I'm thankful that he keeps me going. Otherwise I'd probably be home knitting all the time.

The Barton Family said...

Impressive! I still drive to check the mail!